Utah IRP Registration


Utah IRP

Registering your commercial trucking business is a complicated process. Many people get overwhelmed with all of the steps and end up spending a lot more money than is needed simply out of lack of knowledge. Interstate Transportation Consulting has the knowledge to save you both time and money during this complicated process.

What is IRP?

IRP stands for International Registration Plan. This is an agreement among the states in the US, the District of Columbia, and most Canadian Provinces that share a percentage of apportioned fees based on where your company travels. This simply means that when you license your vehicle your registration will allow you to transport loads across the country and the states that you travel into will receive a portion of those registration fees you paid to cover you being in their state.

Who can license under IRP?

You may be required to license your commercial vehicles IRP if any of the following apply to your operation:

  • Operate Interstate (transport goods or people through two or more states)
  • Have a power unit with two axles that is registered or weighs more than 26,000 pounds
  • Have a power unit with three or more axles, regardless of weight
  • Is used in combination with a weight that exceeds 26,000 pounds.

If your vehicle has a GVW under 26,000 pounds you are not required to register it as an IRP unit but may still choose to do so. Please talk to our office and we can help you access the most cost effective way to register your vehicles based on your operation needs.

What do I need to do to get started?

The first step to licensing in the state of Utah is establishing your business. Please contact the Utah Department of Commerce by clicking here and set up your business name and address.

(https://corporations.utah.gov/ once they click the blue “here” please have it take them to this URL)

The second step is to contact the IRS and set up your Employer Identification Number (EIN). You may find that website here.

(https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-number-ein-online once they click the blue “here” please have it take them to this URL)

Now you are ready for Interstate Transportation Consulting to take over the stress and help you with the rest of the paperwork. To obtain an IRP account with the state of Utah you will need to provide us with 4 of the following items that list name and address of the new account holder. This will provide proof of residency in the State of Utah.

Group 1
Utah Driver’s License

Group 2
Articles of Incorporation
DOT MCS-150 Form
Proof of Utah Tax account details
Proof of IRS Account details
Proof of Property (Current Property Tax)
Proof of Department of Commerce Registration

Group 3
Rental Agreement for Property Utility Bill (Gas, Water, Power, Telephone)
Current Vehicle Registration
Current Bank Statement
Current Employment Contract

Sole Proprietor All LLC’s, Inc’s, and Others
Group 1 Required
Group 2 2 Items or More 2 Items or More
Group 3 1 Items or More 2 Items or More

All applicants must produce items from Group 2 AND Group 3

Along with these documents we will need information about the vehicles or equipment you wish to register. If you have any questions feel free to call our helpful staff and we can walk you through the process to make this as easy as possible for everyone.

If you have an existing account with the State of Utah we can still be of assistance for you. Some of the other services that Interstate Transportation Consulting can provide are:

  • Temporary Permit Requests for new vehicle purchases ***
  • Lost Plate Replacements
  • Ownership Changes (On Registrations and Titles)
  • Carrier DOT Changes
  • Fleet Renewals

** To add a new unit to your existing fleet we simply need a few things from you and we can get started right away with a temporary permit. We will need to know the following:


  • VIN (Vehicle Identification number) of the new equipment
  • Year
  • Make
  • Model

  • Color of Equipment

  • Registered Gross Weight (for trucks)

  • Name of the Owner as it should be listed on the title

  • Date of Purchase

  • Purchase Price.

If it is a leased vehicle we will need to know the DOT and FEIN# for the leasing company.

We are here to help save you time and money. Often times we can save you money on certain taxes for the vehicles you purchase by letting us strategically put our knowledge to use. Contact us today (801) 972-6033 and let us take your stress away so that you can focus on making money for your company.

We are here to help get you on the road faster.


1480 S Pioneer Road,
Salt Lake City, UT 84104


PO Box 26453,
Salt Lake City, UT 84126

Call Us

(801) 972-6033